Granite countertops can be a beautiful and durable addition to any kitchen or bathroom, as long as they are selected among the best products and maintained properly over time. However, to keep them looking like new, it’s important to know exactly how to properly care for them in the long run.
Here are some tips from construction supply Denver distributors for doing just that:
- Wipe down your granite countertops with a mild detergent and warm water, and make sure to dry them with a soft cloth. Avoid using abrasive cleaning products or scrubbers, as they can scratch or damage the granite.
- Sealing your granite countertops will help protect them from stains and spills. You should plan on sealing them at least once a year, or more frequently if you notice that water is no longer beading on the surface.
- Many common household substances, such as lemon juice, vinegar, and tomato sauce, can etch or damage granite. Clean up any spills promptly, and avoid placing acidic or alkaline substances directly on the granite.
- To protect your granite countertops from heat damage, always use trivets or hot pads under hot pots and pans. Also, be sure to use cutting boards to protect the surface when chopping or slicing.
- Granite is durable, but it can chip or crack if it is subject to heavy impact. Be careful not to drop heavy objects or to place heavy loads on the countertops, as they can suffer severe enough damage that they’d need to be replaced.